Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Mercy is Greater Than Sacrifice



One day Saint Epiphanius sent someone to Abba Hilarion with this request: "Come, and let us see one another before we depart from the body." When he came, they rejoiced in each other's company.

During their meal, they were brought a fowl. Epiphanius took it and gave it to Hilarion. Then the old man said to him, "Forgive me, but since I received the habit I have not eaten meat that has been killed."

The bishop answered, "Since I took the habit, I have not allowed anyone to go to sleep with a complaint against me and I have not gone to rest with a complaint against anyone."

The old man replied, "Forgive me, your way of life is better than mine."

-From The Sayings of the Desert Fathers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please no spam, ads or inappropriate language.